Menu Close

Sites – Visit on Your Own

Col William Barry Ruins
William Barry was a Tanner, Legislator, and a Signer of Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. He was a co-founder of Hopewell Presbyterian Church, City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and the N.C. Superior Court. Notably, he recovered General William L. Davidson’s body after the Cowan’s Ford Battle and brought him to Hopewell Church for burial.

The ruin of his home stands on a rise amid a suburban development. The chimney is intact and is remarkable by its bricklaying. The signs give a detailed explanation of his life.
Hopewell Church and Cemetery
Hopewell Presbyterian Church was established in 1762. Its origins, however, go back to the late 1740’s or early 1750’s. It is one of the original seven sister Presbyterian churches founded before the Revolution. General William Davidson was buried in the cemetery at night following his death at the Battle of Cowan’s Ford. Many other early settlers are buried there as well as members of local families up to the present day.

Except during services, the 1838 church is also available to visit.
Mt. Zion Church and Cemetery
The Mt. Zion community dates from before 1827. The current sanctuary was opened in 1954. The entire cemetery has been mapped and recorded by a member in an available book.
Holly Bend
Holly Bend is the home of Robin Davidson, the son of John Davidson, the founder of Rural Hill and Peggy Osborne Davidson. The house dates from about 1800. Various outbuildings, including the home of one of the enslaved men, are marked by signs. It is located at the end of Neck Road a short drive through the cedar avenue along the gravel road.
Historic Sugaw Creek
This Presbyterian church is one of the oldest in Mecklenburg County dating to 1755. One small building from the earlier church building still stands. There are also three burying grounds containing the graves of prominent founders including Alexander Craighead, two signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration, and Hezekiah and Abraham Alexander.